Sunday, March 11, 2012

Pre-flection

The pre base period is done and I would say that I was successful at getting a good base for the official base period of training. I did at least one of each discipline each week, but mainly 2 of each and sometimes 3. I did at least 6h a week of activity and that it pretty good to start.

The weeks "look" manageable, but the volume is pretty low to start. The biggest thing to fit in will be the long bikes. I will have to be creative with the weekly scheduling, and top of my time management.

I have been flipping through the training log of my first Ironman. Honestly, it is amazing that I actually finished it I made a lot of mistakes training, but I did do some things right. I was a big advocate of quality vs quantity. I will be doing similar things this time. I did not do a lot of long distance riding, and I know that hurt me on race day. I am not making that mistake again. My training right now is more bike focused and back then it was run focused as I was training for the Vancouver Marathon. Not this time!

The gist of the training schedule (as per my training manual) is as follows:
Mondays-rest
Tuesdays-swim and bike
Wednesdays-run
Thursdays-brick or separate bike and run
Fridays-swim and bike
Saturdays-long bike and easy run, or brick
Sundays-swim and (long) run

The weekday workouts are reasonably short compared to the weekends. I will be swapping Thursdays and Fridays, as the coached swim group meets Thursdays. I will be tweaking the days a bit to fit in with our family schedule. I know there will be times that life will make it challenging, but I will do my best. I want to get to the finish line so I will make it work.

Shall I start making a batch of "suck-it-up" to have on hand?

No comments:

Post a Comment