Sunday, March 25, 2018

Week 10 summary.

 Summary of the week: Hanson's Plan vs what I actually did.

Monday easy 9.6km
9km done on the treadmill in an hour as this was all I had time for. Made sure I slowed down and tried to have relaxed cadence and stride.

Tuesday 4 x 1200m w/600m recovery
Went outside for this one. The repeats were done at the folowing paces  (/km): 5:13, 5:11, 5:10 and 5:08. I was very happy that I was able to run this fast and enjoyed having a finish line for this.

Wednesday rest or cross train
2 practical clients and 2 spin classes.

Thursday 6.4km race pace
Back to the treadmill as is was too windy to run this outside. Like last time, I slowed it down and alternated 2 speeds for 7km. This run is still the most mentally challenging for me. 10km total

Friday easy 8km
Done at a slower recovery pace. I find anything slower than 6:45/km feels hard on my joints, especially my knees. I am probably due for a massage.

Saturday 19.2 km long run

Because the 16km runs were taking me about 1:45 to do, I figured that 2 hours would be a good cut off for me. I managed 18.2km in 1:59 which I am happy with. However my left foot was getting soe and my toes were hurting. I think it is a combination on the Morton's Neuroma that is coming back as well as old shoes. Both pairs of shoes that I have been running the majority of my mileage each have over 750km on it.






Sunday easy 8km
Did easy 6km at recovery pace.

Total mileage this week is over 60km!

Every week I impress myself with my accomplishments. I am ho grateful for the ability to run this far. I am hoping I am doing my body good, because I feel mentally good.

As much as I am enjoying the training, I am looking forward to when the race is over and running will be less structured. I want to hit the river valley trails. Actually there is nothing stopping me from doing my easy runs there now except how muddy and icy and cold they will be. I am ready for warmer weather! Time to take all those colourful speed shorts outside.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I am a 44 yr old woman who was diagnosed with RA weeks after my 40th b-day (2013). My hands and fingers had been achy for a few weeks and I determined it was time to get it checked out.
    I am also an avid triathlete who has completed 3 Ironman (Austria/ 2x Mont Tremblant) and am currently training for my 4th (Challenge Roth).
    For the most part, I feel good and seem to be managing my RA (so long as I stay active!). However, I am always interested in hearing how fellow athletes with RA deal with their training and disease, as there are still a lot of unknowns with regard to the disease. I am also interested in hearing if my aches and pains during training are what others experience. It's frustrating when training with 'healthy' friends; I don't think they really understand how I am feeling if I am having a bad training day, but I'd love to hear it's not just me!
    i look forward to following you and hearing of your progress through your training.
    Denise (from Massachusetts)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting. Like you I am always wondering what is normal with RA and training and what isn't. I look forward to following your journey as well.
    You have given me more inspiration that I will complete another Ironman.

    ReplyDelete