Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Intervals!

I was starting to get bored with my steady state style of running, so I mixed it up with intervals.

Last week I did a mile in 8:22. I don't think I could hold that for 5 or 10km right now and I remember feeling really spent at the end. So miles were out. I decided to do 200m, mainly because my treadmill is in km and that would be an easy distance to run. A little over a minute at a time. Easy peasy.

If you look up the Hanson half marathon training plan the intervals start in week 6 and they are 12 x 400m @5-10k pace with 400m recovery. Right there that is a 10km distance without warm up and cool down. Right now my weekday runs hover 6-8km, so I have a long way to go. I decided to keep the spirit of the run and I did 12 x 200m "fastish" with 200m recovery.

1 mile warm up (runners challenge)
12 x 200m @ 5:27/km + 200m 6:00/km
cool down

I found that pace very manageable and the whole workout went quite quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment