Monday, June 4, 2012

Battling the wind

Out here, the wind is a given. The only way I can prepare myself for riding in the wind is to, wait for it, ride in the wind. No one can predict what race day weather will be like so it is best to be ready as best as you can for anything.

That being said, I would be lying if I didn't feel a bit discouraged yesterday. Another day of an uneven ride. 42km out and the same back, severely unbalanced. I felt like I was working hard both ways. On the way out when it is supposed to be easier I felt like I couldn't get any speed and I even thought that a tire was low. On the way back I was battling the wind. My friend was breaking it for me (she is used to this route), but after about 10 minutes I would fall back. The only time I didn't was in the last 10km when I really wanted to be finished the ride and be out of the wind. 

She and I were talking about our respective goals for the race. We have had different experiences. I have yet to have a good long distance triathlon and I am hoping to improve both my half and full Ironman times. She is hoping to do the best she can, but doesn't think she will be close to either time, nor does she really care if she is. 

I was reflecting on this on the ride. Do I need to change my goals? Am I in the dark as to what I am actually capable of? Am I really working as hard as I can? And does is matter? This reflection was occuring on the ride into the wind where I was starting to feel a bit defeated. I know what I would like to achieve. I think I am working hard enough.

She also only swims once a week and that got me thinking that maybe I should drop one swim and extend the other. Drop the swim, but get on the bike more, if I can swing it. The bike is where I need the most work and where I have the greatest room for improvement. I am starting the second half of training and the best time to make changes is now. I will try it this week.


2 comments:

  1. I know nothing of tri training, but sounds like you've just hit that point of training where you start questioning.... (Maybe it was all the question marks that gave it away...)

    Keep it up, Missy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, Ang!

    ReplyDelete